Brookshire, Texas

Everything Brookshire is known for

15 songs mention this city 1 artist from here

Music in Brookshire

Songs About Brookshire

Live Music Here Tonight
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
18%
18%
Hello, How Are You?
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
18%
Another Drinkin' Song
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
The Princess Tonight
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Better with You
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Friday Morning
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Gonna Come a Storm
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Lovin' on My Mind
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Homecoming King
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
I'll Win the War
The Earl Sanders Jr. Band
18%
18%

Rivers & Roads in Song near Brookshire

Songs written about the waterways and highways that run near Brookshire.

History of Brookshire

Kellner: The Twin Town Hiding Inside Brookshire RoadyGoat

1893

Brookshire is secretly two towns. In 1893, when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad came through, two rival plats were filed side by side: John Kellner donated land and platted the Town of Kellner, while John Brookshire and O. C. Drew platted the Town of Brookshire next door. The railroad made the spot a shipping point for cotton, melons, corn, and pecans, and the twin plats simply grew together; by 1897 the combined settlement had about thirty businesses and shipped 10,000 bales of cotton in a year. The Brookshire name won the post office, and when the city incorporated in May 1946 it formally absorbed both plats, the moment Kellner ceased to exist as a place name, surviving today only in old deeds and on the county's map of forgotten places. (Sources: Handbook of Texas, Brookshire, TX; Brookshire EDC history.)

Brookshire's Brand-New Trail Ride to the Rodeo RoadyGoat

2026

Every February, long before the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo opens its gates, riders on horseback and in covered wagons make a days-long trek across the prairie into the city, a living echo of the old cattle drives. For decades, the lineup of official trail rides barely changed. Then in 2026, a brand-new group out of Brookshire, the True Western Trail Ride Association, was added to that official lineup, the first new trail ride accepted in more than twenty years. For their first ride, about a hundred and fifty riders, along with a string of wagons, set out from Brookshire to cover roughly eighty-nine miles into Houston. It is a genuinely rare thing to watch a new tradition take its place beside ones that have rolled for generations, and it started right here on the Brookshire prairie. (Sources: Houston Chronicle; FOX 26 Houston.)

The Bexar Soldier Behind the Town Name RoadyGoat

1793

The name on the water tower belongs to a soldier who helped pry Texas loose from Mexico. Nathen Brookshire was born in Rutherford County, Tennessee, in seventeen ninety-three, and he came up hard, soldiering through the Creek War and the War of Eighteen Twelve before he ever saw Texas. He moved his family down in eighteen thirty-two, and on October fifth, eighteen thirty-five, he took title to a full league of land as a member of Stephen F. Austin's fifth colony, right in the bottomlands now split between Waller and Fort Bend counties. That December, he marched on San Antonio for the storming and capture of Bexar, the brutal house-to-house fight that drove the Mexican army out of the town. By eighteen thirty-six he carried the rank of captain in the Texas Army. He farmed his land until his death on January tenth, eighteen fifty-three. Forty years later, when his kin platted a railroad town on that old family ground, they hung his name on it for good.

Brookshire, Captain Nathen

1835

Captain Nathen Brookshire. Participated in the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5th to 10th,1835. A captain in the Texas Army, 1836. Born in Tennessee, 1793. Died Jan. 10, 1853

Best, Isaac

1824

Isaac Best, one of Stephen F. Austin 's Old Three Hundred colonists, the son of Stephen Best, was born in 1774, possibly in Pennsylvania. He married Mary Margaret Wilkins, and the couple had nine children. After spending his early years in Pennsylvania and Kentucky, Best and his wife left Garrard County, Kentucky, and moved to Montgomery County in southern Missouri in 1808. There he built a mill and an outpost known as Best's Fort, which served as a refuge from Indian attacks during the War of 1812. The family and several slaves moved to Texas in 1824. On August 19 of that year Best received title to a sitio east of the Brazos River in what is now Waller County. He increased his landholdings and built a home near the site of present Pattison. The 1826 census described Best as a farmer and stock raiser between forty and fifty years of age. His household consisted of his wife, three sons, two daughters, and four slaves. Best may have lived at San Felipe in 1833, when William B. Travis issued a subpoena for him as a witness in a case against Isaac Clower. Best died near Pattison in 1837. On August 29, 1974, the Texas Historical Commission dedicated a marker to him on Farm Road 1458 1½ miles west of Pattison.

Pattison, TX

1839

Pattison is near the junction of Farm roads 1458 and 359, thirty miles west of Houston in southern Waller County. It was named for James Tarrant Pattison, who purchased a large tract of William Heady's Mexican land grant in 1839 and built his plantation house on a hill. Pattison's plantation was a stage stop at the intersection of the Atascosito Road and the San Felipe Trail and included a gin, a gristmill, a sawmill, and a race track for the local gentry's favorite sport. According to Pattison family lore, the name of the town was the result of a horse race: Pattison and a rival plantation owner matched their favorite horses for the winner's privilege of naming the proposed town after himself. The George Parker Church, established in 1854 and named for its first minister, was also located in the vicinity of the present town. The town was organized in 1877, when three of Pattison's children granted the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad a right-of-way through their property and donated additional land for a turntable and townsite. The preexisting community of Pine Grove, centered around Edwin Waller 's general store and post office and already a supply point for the surrounding rich agricultural area by 1873, soon moved to the railroad terminus on the Pattison plantation. The new post office was first called Patterson's Station (1879), then Patterson (1883). The name of the railway stop, however, was always Pattison, and the post office finally took that name in 1916. The railroad, which primarily shipped cotton to Houston, opened for traffic in August 1878, and the town flourished. German, Jewish, and Armenian entrepreneurs contributed to the town's development. By 1883 a population of 250 made Pattison the second largest community in Waller County. Thirteen years later the town had five cotton gins, a steam gristmill, seven general stores, two doctors, and a population of 500. Germans , the predominant immigrant group, founded the German Methodist Church in 1875 and Christ Lutheran Church in 1890. Anglo-Americans organized Pattison Methodist Church in the early 1880s. Itinerant black ministers held frequent camp meetings at Pattison, where Mount Calvary Baptist Church was founded in 1889. The town's first public school opened in 1881, and by 1892 Pattison was headquarters for a school district that included Pattison Negro School. The railroad ceased operation in 1899, and nearby Brookshire on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line replaced Pattison as southern Waller County's distribution center. The Galveston hurricane of 1900 destroyed Pattison's school, Methodist church, and many businesses; a downtown fire in the same year hastened business relocation to Brookshire. By 1925 the population in Pattison had decreased to 100, but a strong sense of community, strong churches, and good farmland helped citizens rebuild. Electricity came in 1930, when Peter Donigan paid Houston Light and Power to run a line to his cotton gin, and in 1934 the community established a high school. Pattison had a population estimated at 250 in 1941 and 316 in 1968. The town was incorporated on November 16, 1972. Waller County's last operating cotton gin, at Pattison, closed in 1976. In 1988 the town retained its post office, a justice of the peace, a state health clinic, a school, four churches, and two cemeteries. The town's population in the late 1980s was just under 450. In 1990 it was 327. By 2000 the population was 447.

Pattison, James Tarrant

1836

Located at important junction of Atascosito Road and the San Felipe Trail, this homesite was established by James Tarrant and Sarah Smith Pattison on their Republic of Texas land grant, and became a stagecoach stop. Their plantation of 5,000 acres had its own grist mill, sawmill, and cotton gin. The first church and school in the community were founded through the efforts of Pattison. Town developed here before 1854 was named by a son, George Madison, for the original settler, James Tarrant Pattison (1810-72). Heirs still live here. (1971)

Historical Marker → · 3.7 mi away

Morgan, Stacye Ann Marlin

1839

(Feb. 14, 1819 -- March 23, 1894) Survivor of the famous Morgan Massacre; daughter of settler James Marlin, In Falls County, Jan., 1, 1839, Indians killed and scalped several members of the Morgan and Marlin families. Isaac Marlin, 10, ran 7 miles for help. His sister, Stacye Ann, was severely wounded and left by the Indians for dead. However, she recovered, married William J. Morgan, and brought up a large family. Died in Waller County.

Historical Marker → · 4.2 mi away

Brookshire, TX

1835

Brookshire is on U.S. Highway 90 and Interstate Highway 10 in southern Waller County thirty miles west of Houston. The town is named for Capt. Nathen Brookshire , who received title to a league of land as a member of Stephen F. Austin 's fifth colony in 1835. Many skeptics thought that the area, which was surrounded by coastal prairies, was unfit for settlement. Detractors were surprised when-because of the rich alluvial soil of the Brazos riverbottom and the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad-Brookshire developed into a thriving agricultural community. The railroad and Brookshire's proximity to Houston made the town an ideal shipping point for crops such as cotton, melons, corn, and pecans. By 1893 a post office had been established at the community. With agriculture as its basis, the economy of Brookshire flourished. By 1897 the Brookshire Times noted that the town had some thirty businesses and had shipped 10,000 bales of cotton that year. Although cotton remained king in Brookshire in 1900, the crop's economic significance diminished over the next three decades because of falling cotton prices and the demand for farm labor in the lucrative war industries. The community's economy, however, was not devastated, as rice became a major cash crop that increased in production every decade after 1900. Brookshire's population was 1,250 in 1920, then fluctuated over the next two decades, then steadily increased through the 1980s. In 1980 Brookshire, with a population of 2,244, was a center for rice, peanut, soybean, and cattle production. The town had a number of churches, a sizable consolidated school district, two banks, and several large businesses. The Waller County Museum, in the home of former resident Dr. Paul Donigan, is located in Brookshire. Each October the town is host to the Waller County Festival, which celebrates diverse ethnic backgrounds. In 1990 the community's population was 2,922, and in 2000 it was 3,450.

Things to Do in Brookshire

Everything Near Brookshire

597 stories, landmarks & places within ~20 miles — the same local lore RoadyGoat plays as you drive through.

Explore Brookshire on the Map